12000 lost in 2 days
About 1 Month, 1 Week, 7 Hours, 42 Minutes ago.
More than 12,000 people in the UK are set to lose their jobs after a raft of firms announced cuts in the past 48 hours.
The cuts are mainly being made by High Street retailers and in aviation - two of the sectors hardest hit by the coronavirus lockdown.
John Lewis has said it will close stores but has not confirmed how many jobs will go.
Topshop owner Arcadia and Harrods said they planned a total of 1,180 job cuts.
Where are the cuts falling?Other lay-offs that have been announced include:
- Up to 5,000 job cuts at Upper Crust owner SSP Group
- Up to 700 jobs at Harrods
- About 600 workers at shirtmaker TM Lewin
- Up to 900 cuts at management consulting firm Accenture
- 300 staff cuts across Virgin Money, Clydesdale Bank and Yorkshire Bank
- 1,700 UK jobs at plane-maker Airbus
- And 1,300 crew and 727 pilots at EasyJet